What is BIM?
What is BIM-M?
The Building Information Modeling for Masonry (BIM-M) is an international effort to unify the masonry industry and all supporting industries through encouraging the development and implementation of BIM for masonry software to facilitate smoother workflows and collaboration across all disciplines from owner, architect, engineer, manufacturer, mason, contractor, construction manager, and maintenance professionals. Learn the benefits of BIM-M for your occupation.
Reduce Your Effort When Designing With Masonry Products
Architects – Masonry iQ is a plug-in for Revit software that allows them to improve their workflow while creating 3D models with masonry-specific wall types, stock or custom bond patterns, and computer analysis of wall geometry that includes corner bonding. They can select real-world masonry producers and browse their materials, placing their choices directly into the design and having the software do all the calculations.
With MasonryiQ, that changed. As a plug-in to Autodesk’s Revit software, MasonryiQ gives architects the ability to create three-dimensional models that show masonry-detailed wall types. Using stock bond patterns or nearly unlimited custom options. As openings for windows and doors are added, the software analyzes the geometry – including corner specifications – for layout and cuts. When the user moves cuts or changes dimensions, MasonryiQ re-calculates the wall geometry. Then architects are ready to select products, they can find and choose from regional masonry producers and browse products in real-time. Therefore, they specify those products in the design and see photo-realistic renderings of what the final project will look like.
Masonry Manufacturers – Masonry Manufacturers imagine having the ability to put your masonry products in front of the perfect audience – architects and builders in the midst of designing – at the perfect time, every time. Imagine what it would be like if scheduling and location were not deciding factors in whether an architect would see your products. Imagine those architects being able to use specs and details from your materials in their custom 3D renderings. And imagine a process that would cut costs and waste while making masonry products easier to use in commercial building design.
Masonry iQ Tutorial Videos
Benefits of BIM-M for Architects
- Design tools, methods for quickly importing masonry details and product models into BIM authoring tools
- Uniform language and classification systems for masonry units and assemblies
- Tools for describing air, thermal, moisture and vapor control layers within BIM models
- Tools for cost estimating while in the programming and schematic design phase
- BIM-Masonry Case Studies
- BIM-M importance for Architects
Benefits of BIM-M for Construction Managers
- Interactive scheduling, quantity takeoff and coordination tools
- Safety management tools
- Tools for improved communications with mason subcontractors, enclosure subcontractors (glass, concrete, roofing, etc.), structural steel subcontractors, architects, engineers and owner
- Planning tools for site logistics and lean construction
Benefits of BIM-M for Craftworkers
- Opportunities to reclaim and expand market share
- Data sharing for increased safety and productivity
Benefits of BIM-M for Engineers
- Tools for sharing information with architects and converting design information into structural analysis models (2-D and 3-D)
- Means for generating and applying masonry details to models
Benefits of BIM-M for Mason Contractors
- Increased opportunities for promoting masonry construction
- Tools for interactive scheduling and coordination
- Safety management tools
- Interoperability tools for improved communications with architects and engineers and construction managers
Benefits of BIM-M for Material Suppliers
- Ability to create standard building product models with specifications
- Improved access to procurement and supply requirements and E-commerce platforms
- Links to MRP (materials requirements planning) and EPD (environmental product declarations)
- BIM-M and Manufacturers
Benefits of BIM-M for Owners
- Information for understanding life-cycle costs of ownership
- Record keeping for tracking maintenance and upkeep
- Tools for creating and maintaining as-built drawings